Tuesday, October 30, 2007

White and blue

The whiter it is inside, the more the landscape stands out. Love it.

Kitchen cabinets are all white already. The new sturdy industrial stove is in place already, but I forgot to take a picture yesterday. It looks quite Frankensteinish, but super cute. They promised to replace the oven handle, which in stark contrast with the very squarish boxy appliance, they decided to make in turned wood, with curlicue shape. We laughed when we saw it, the guy did not see the joke, said it was like that because it was for "domestic" not commercial use. His "homey" touch.

Against the black granite counter top, the white wooden cabinets look very sharp. It will all be softened with some nice hardwood dining table (probably teak, I have a beautiful, huge one in mind) and with some leather (a couple of Barcelona chairs upholstered in distressed, light-brown leather, comfy and classy) and some rustic-looking linen upholstery for the two sofas. I think all the furniture will stand out nicely, but for the same reason everything has to be very carefully chosen, no so-so anything because it will stick out like a sore thumb...


The pool covered in the blue glass mini tiles.

We are now entering the final part, for good. The pool is almost finished, pending the landscape engineer´s drainage works. Because the plot is on a slight slope, with the land falling off in two different directions, we have to be careful with the drainage so as not to end up with a flooded pool, a clogged pool filter or dampness in the downstairs area of the house.

Therefore, the landscapers (Punta Ballena Jardines I think they´re called) will take care of all major structural re-arranging of the land, smoothing out the entire area, that now looks like a lunar surface, installing
underground drainage channels in order to avoid water/dampness problems, and also adding layers of sand, good soil and lawn on some portions of the plot.

Last, and and very importantly, they will install the sprinkler system wherever there is a lawn (immediately around the house and between the house and the pool) and also on the perimeter of the 3 plots, so as to be able to start planting trees and shrubs to create a green barrier closing off the main road and hiding some of the neighboring houses from our direct view.

This is all quite costly for us. It may be peanuts compared to U.S. or European costs, I´m sure, but at this point it´s quite a financial effort, so that´s why we are so late in starting with it. Also, it´s the kind of thing that we failed to budget when planning the house (good thing, otherwise I may have ended with a smaller house) so at the end of the construction it feels like a big ticket item that we didn´t bargain for. Good to know for next time.

With regards to the actual gardening, I have decided to engage the services of my cousin and her partner, who, even at regular non-cousin rates are considerably cheaper than similar-quality landscaping firms or designers operating from Punta del Este.

I liked it when she told me that for each type of plant or shrub or tree she has a favorite supplier, rated in terms of value as quality of the specimen vs. price. "I have a palm-tree guy" she said by way of example, "that plants the palm trees himself." It sounds pretty obvious, but from what I know around here, landscape designers mostly work with a single purveyor, that is, with a single nursery per project. Maybe they alternate between two or three nurseries, but that´s about it, and locally, the good nurseries are pretty expensive, and so are the landscape designers´ services. I´m thrilled to finally be able to start thinking about trees and such. I have to temper my enthusiasm because of the natural constraints of the land (winds, soil) but I´m optimistic that I can grow quite the jungle out there eventually...


2 comments:

alex said...

margarita:

if you succeed growing trees at your location, I'll be the first one to bring the Moet Chandon (although I pretty much hate champagne)
In fact, the barrenness of the land in punta negra is what prevented us from investing there 10 years ago, and we decided instead to buy 2 lots in Ocean Park, which is thoroughly forested, and pretty near the airport.
Thought of as a retirement savings, it made sense at that time (it had no electricity then -don't know whether it has it right now either) I even recall my ramblings at that occasion: "a secluded beach with nice suroundings, near the airport, will appeal to the fast-trackers, and the gay community, for its vicinity to Chihuahua..." since these lots and the one I bought in Punta Colorada where meant to be retirement savings, I must admit that I've never checked out if they'd revalued or devalued...:) but I rambled on...
back to trees' growth

8 years after buying in Playa Verde, 20mts above sea-level on the valley of Tarariras creek, I've experienced that anything vegetable here isn't able to grow without HEAVY SCREENING....Good for me that I didn't invest in blueberries, which was my goal, and hence the farm's name "Blueberry Hill" (double innuendo here, Satchmo's song by that name).
The SW and SE winds are just deadly for any kind of vegetation.... I don't dare to grow a lettuce without protection from the winds ( reason why I built a 50 sq.mts. nursery last year, with programmable sprinkling and dripping system)
bottomline, the coast is great for its scenery, but buying land here for crops or forestation is a great mistake...if it's cattle or horses or sheep you're into, that's probably ok

cheers
alex

Arrancopelito said...

In that case, the challenge is on! There is one native eucaliptus criollo, the round, squat ones, growing behind the house. There's also a couple of acacia, a couple of pine trees planted by my next
lot neighbor in various stages of slow motion growth, from 1 feet high to about 10 ft more or less.

But most encouraging is La Carolina, the farm next door, whose forest graces the view from my desk as I write. As an expert once told me, it is indeed an ugly forest with not a single properly developed, healthy tree, but it is a natural screen for whatever they have inside... and they definitely qualify as trees.

Another neighbor of mine chose to create an acacia forest around his house, depriving him of a view, but protecting his little garden, that grows lushly...

Further inland the farms seem to be ok, with all kinds of trees, crops, even a nursery just one kilometer inland from here.

Anyway, I will go with casuarina and acacia and other smaller plant life such as aloe, etc... we'll see and I will be calling for that Moet if something exceeds say, the height of the house...

But I know all too well about those winds. I finished glassing in the side of the parrillero that was punished by the aastern winds all summer, just in time for winds to shift west. More glassing in coming soon...

Re Ocean Park, it has become better known and it is indeed woodsy, but the very forest and remoteness scared the hell out of me, and unfortunately I recently found out from my insurance agent that it has become the area with the highest burglary rates in all of Punta del Este, sort of an epidemic, I guess due to its proximity to the Capuera shanty town. However, these things usually pass, at least if neighbors organize, etc.

Punta Colorada on the other hand keeps getting increasingly popular with Uruguayans, due to its proximity to San Francisco, currently the hottest spot on the coast as far as Uruguayans go. A realtor looking at my lot for sale in Barra de Portezuelo told me wistfully "With this view, if it were in San Francisco or Punta Colorada it would be worth twice as much" :-)

Anyway, I think both your retirement investments are good ones, both have probably appreciated already and will continue to do so...